Truck, Utility: 1/4 Ton, 4x4
M151 (2320-542-4783), M151A1 (2320-763-1092), M151A2 (2320-177-9258),
M151A1C (2320-763-1091), M825 (2320-177-9257) With 106 MM Recoilless Rifle,
Truck, Ambulance, Front Line: 1/4 Ton, 4x4
M718 (2320-782-6056), M718A1 (2320-177-9256)
In 1950, the US Continental Army Command placed a requirement with the Ordnance Corps for a new vehicle to replace the M38A1. A year later, the Ford Motor Company was awarded a development contract for the new vehicle, and the first prototype was completed in 1952. A further prototype was completed in 1954 and given the designation XM151, and in 1956 two further vehicles, an all-steel version (XM151E1) and an all aluminium version (XM151E2) were built and tested. The XM151E2 was subsequently selected for production in 1959. Ford received the first contract and the initial batch of vehicles was completed at the Ford Highland plant in 1960, with a later contract being placed with the AM General Corporation.
Some of the advanced features in the design of the M151 caused some initial problems, such as the strength of the rear suspension system, and the high risk of vehicle roll-over. These problems and several others were addressed in the second version of the MUTT, the M151-A2. Added safety features of the newer variant included stiffer, trailing rear suspension, large indicators, a two-step wiper motor, safety glass, and an impact-absorbent steering wheel.
Because of the earlier roll-over problems, the US Government decided that the M151 was unsafe for use on public roads, despite a safety kit (called R.O.P.S, the Roll Over Protection System) being developed. A mandate was issued that all M151's were to be scrapped before being released to the public. Initially achieved by cutting the vehicle in half (allowing some ingenious restorers to weld the halves back together again), the vehicles now have to be crushed by a tracked vehicle.